Joe Gibbs Racing and New Balance Team Up to Develop New Over the Wall Shoe
April 6th 2009
Denton, TX -
Joe Gibbs Racing and New Balance debuted the results of their partnership this weekend at Texas Motor Speedway with a new shoe designed specifically to improve the performance of NASCAR pit crew members as they go over the wall.
In January, Joe Gibbs Racing announced a partnership with New Balance to supply pit crew footwear for each of its three NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams and two NASCAR Nationwide Series teams.
The New Balance 500 pit crew shoe has key technical features that were developed and designed specifically to meet the unique combination of Joe Gibbs Racing's pit crew needs of speed, safety and stability including:
- Velcro closure system to ensure shoe laces can be captured underneath to minimize potential of catching exposed laces.
- Fire resistance as a mandatory safety element with testing and approval secured by SFI.
- An extended and reinforced toe piece to create an extremely durable toe cap. Helps with stability and to address excessive wear above the toe.
- Snail rubber outsole to enhance speed and stability. This compound offers tremendous grip that is particularly soft and allows for maximum traction.
- Channels across the outsole to prevent water and oil pooling.
- Reduced midsole – 5 mm in the front and 7mm in the back - to allow for closer-to-the-ground contact and increased stability.
- Removable cushioned insert for maximum comfort during the long hours of a typical race day.
"It's no secret that our pit stops can be the difference between winning and losing a race," said Joe Gibbs, owner of Joe Gibbs Racing. "The New Balance pit crew shoes provide our guys with the confidence to perform at their highest levels every time they go over that wall."
"New Balance is proud to introduce our brand's first pit crew shoe specifically designed to meet the unique performance and technology needs related to keeping pit road activities at their fastest and safest," says Jim Tompkins, President & COO at New Balance. "This shoe also reflects New Balance's Total Fit™ commitment to providing the best fit from every angle to benefit the entire Joe Gibbs Racing pit crew team."
New Balance also provides training shoes for the pit crew teams' workout use as well as athletic footwear to JGR's entire travel team, delivering support and comfort as they spend long days on their feet preparing the car for race day.
About New Balance:
New Balance, headquartered in Boston, MA has the following mission: Demonstrating responsible leadership, we build global brands that athletes are proud to wear, associates are proud to create and communities are proud to host. New Balance employs more than 4,000 people around the globe, and in 2007 reported worldwide sales of $1.63 billion. For more information please visit https://www.newbalance.com.
About Joe Gibbs Racing:
Joe Gibbs Racing (JGR) is one of the premier organizations in NASCAR, currently fielding three NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams, two NASCAR Nationwide Series teams and a driver development program. Its driver lineup consists of Denny Hamlin, Kyle Busch and Joey Logano in the Sprint Cup Series; Hamlin, Busch, Logano and Brad Coleman in the Nationwide Series; and Matt DiBenedetto and Darrell Wallace, Jr. in its driver development program. Based in Huntersville, N.C., and owned by Joe Gibbs – a three-time Super Bowl winner as head coach of the Washington Redskins and a ss_Member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame – JGR has competed in NASCAR since 1992, winning three Cup Series championships, and one Nationwide Series owner's championship along with more than 100 NASCAR races, including three Brickyard 400s and the 1993 Daytona 500.
Contact New Balance:
Joe Gibbs Racing