Team New Balance’s Emma Coburn is one of the most dominant forces in American distance running today. How does she do it? Well, for starters, she’s always prepared.
Emma recently talked us through the things that she needs to train and compete at the highest level.
1. My favorite running shoes! The Fresh Foam Boracays are cushioned, neutral and perfect for all sorts of distances and terrains.
2. It's crucial for your body's recovery to eat something within 30-45 minutes of a workout. I go for things with good protein and carbs, typically a fruit or veggie smoothie with protein powder or peanut butter, or a sandwich.
3. I try and always have a dry change of clothes in my bag, because there is nothing worse than finishing a hard workout and having to stay in those sweaty clothes for a few hours until you can shower!
4. A good running watch is vital for any runner, especially when working out at the track where timing needs to be precise.
5. These cool wooden sunglasses are my favorite!
6. Rolling out my leg muscles pre- and post-run is key to recovering well. Foam rollers are a must. They get into areas that are sometimes harder to stretch like the IT band, which when tight, can lead lots of runners to knee pain.
7. Hydration is so critical! I try and keep a big reusable water bottle with me to remind me to drink up!
8. After my friend and training partner, Kara, introduced me to electrolyte tablets, I became addicted! I add them to my water throughout the day. It's such an easy way to stay hydrated. Strawberry Lemonade is my favorite.
9. The LD5000v2s most comfortable spikes I've ever worn! Lightweight with a spike-plate that isn't too aggressive, I race in these and can train in them frequently without becoming too sore.
10. These compression socks are great for runs after recovering from hard sessions, or when I travel. They can really help your calves bounce back.
11. If I’m not training, I'm with my dog Arthur, so I always keep lots of treats on hand. His favorite trick is to play dead. I make my hand into a gun and say "bang!" He falls down, put his paws in the air, and will even stick his tongue out.
Follow New Balance on Instagram
Follow New Balance on Twitter
Follow New Balance on Facebook